Blog
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Weaning
So today is day 1 of the official weaning process. It is a couple weeks before Grant's 1st birthday, but I called the pediatrician and she gave me the ok. I was so excited to start weaning, which is why I wanted to get going now and hopefully be done by the time Grant turns 1. Mike and I were so excited for this time when we can leave Grant with the Grandparents overnight easily, no nursing in public - which I still hate, and I can have my body back ... but now that the day is here, I feel emotional about weaning. I know it was going to happen at some point or another ... and I am definitely not one to nurse until the child is 5 , but it is kinda bittersweet... I'm sure by the time this process is done, I won't feel like it was so bad, but the anticipation of how Grant will take it is kind of scaring me right now. I'm starting with replacing the nursing sessions I think Grant is least attached to, leaving the worst for last. So pray it goes well, for Grant and I!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It is totally an emotional process but I will be praying it will go smoothly for both you and Grant! My only recommendation is when you finally get down to one feeding a day, pick a day that you want to completely stop so you know that it is the last time and can cherish it.
hope everything goes well with the weaning :) It's sad, but just think about all the bonding you got with him! I wish I would have been able to breastfeed lexi, but I was one of the ones that had major problems with it. Are you excited for Grants b-day! make sure you take lots of pictures and put some up!!
I know the bittersweetness that comes with this season, but I honestly believe it's much harder on the mama than it is on the baby! There are so many feelings involved, not the least of which is "mommy guilt."
AJ self-weaned at 4 1/2, so I never had a chance to process like you're doing. I felt like I was ruining him because he hadn't had enough time. The pediatrician assured me that he had gotten plenty of the "good stuff" and that when he reached preschool no one was going to be looking at my son, pointing fingers and saying "oooh, look at that kid, his mom must not have nursed him until (whenever!)." You know what, he was right!
Grant will survive, you will survive, but enjoy these last days. Cry, grieve, mourn, take pictures (or not!), but let it all out. You'll make it. I promise! ... And you will enjoy the freedom...
Post a Comment